Donate   |   Find A Member   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Register
History of AHSGR
Share |

The Germans from Russia story begins in 1762 with the Manifesto issued by Catherine the Great. Migrations to Russia were many and by the end of the 19th century, there were about 1.8 million Germans in Russia. In 1872, the Germans in Russia began to emigrate to the United States, Canada, Brazil, and Argentina.

With a large GR population in Nebraska, Kansas and Colorado, there was interest in forming an organization. Thus, AHSGR was founded in 1968 and incorporated in the same year in the state of Colorado. AHSGR is an international, nonprofit educational organization engaged in researching the history of all German Russians. Volunteers and staff on both local chapter and international levels search for information, translate, and develop a store-house of knowledge useful to current and future generations.

In 1973 the AHSGR office was relocated to Lincoln, Neb. On June 15, 1983, at its 15th International Convention, AHSGR dedicated its newly constructed International Headquarters Building and Heritage Center. In 1993, at the 25th International Convention in Denver, Colorado, the complex was named the AHSGR Cultural Heritage Research Center. The center is between 6th and 7th streets from C to D streets, in the neighborhood known as the South Bottoms, designated by the National Park Service as a Historic District. The South Bottoms and North Bottoms neighborhoods were the principal settlements of Germans from Russia in Lincoln at the turn of the 20th century.

The society publishes folklore and genealogical materials and distributes them to its members. AHSGR volunteers and staff on both local chapter and international levels search for information, translate, and develop a store-house of knowledge useful to current and future generations.

The AHSGR Cultural Heritage Research Center includes the Jake Sinner Headquarters Building,  the Emma Schwabenland Haynes Library Archives, a German from Russia Pioneer Family Commemorative Statue, and the Amen Family Historical Village, named in honor of the Henry J. Amen Family of Lincoln.

Membership Management Software Powered by YourMembership.com®  ::  Legal